Discovery Trips (for ages 21-35)
Apply early to insure your spot on the team! Late applications accepted until March 8th
Check out where we're going in 2014
Want to discover what really happens "out there" in Bible translation and literacy? Discovery trips are for people considering working with Wycliffe longer term, but who want to experience what it's really like before completing their training or education. On a Discovery trip, you will…
- Experience 6-8 weeks overseas connecting with Wycliffe staff--just long enough to get a more accurate picture of what missions is really like.
- Learn and put into practice language and culture acquisition skills through a visit to a translation project and a village stay.
- Engage with a team of incredibly diverse and talented people who work together through the rigors of cross-cultural living.
- Potentially meet requirements for college credit or college internship (or even long-term missionary service). Ask your adviser.
- Grow through a personal process. Each trip is unique to the location and the skills of the individuals involved.
Discovery has two tracks:
If you're interested in translation or literacy, you'll typically spend about half your time with a translation team. It may be in a village, town or city. You'll observe their work and participate in daily life. You'll work with a mother-tongue language helper to learn some basic conversation.
If you have interests other than translation or literacy, you can get hands-on mission experience in your area of expertise. You'll spend most of your time working in a support role that puts your skills to good use (e.g., computers, education, media, accounting, construction). You'll also have an opportunity to see translation work in progress and do some language learning. You'll be matched with an assignment designed to use your skills and help you discover how your gifts and abilities can further the work of Bible translation.
Application Deadlines and Early Bird Discounts:
All applications received by December 31st: FREE –application fee is waived
Applications received in January: $20 fee (save $80)
Applications received in February: $50 fee (save $50)
Applications received after February are considered late: $100 fee
Final application deadline: March 8th, 2013 (some trips/internships reserve the right to receive applications beyond the deadline. Call to find out of there are extended deadlines.)
*Application fee payable by check to Wycliffe Bible Translators (or WBT) and mailed to address below
For more info contact:
Discovery - Wycliffe Bible Translators
10221 Slater Ave
Fountain Valley CA 92708
Discovery on Facebook!
Are you Canadian?
Please fill out this form for Wycliffe Canada before applying for a Wycliffe USA internship.