Wycliffe Gift Catalog: Project Spotlight | Wycliffe Bible Translators

FrontLines

Fall 2016

Download PDF
FrontLines
Back to FrontLines: Fall 2016

Wycliffe Gift Catalog: Project Spotlight

Reach 27 Million People in India with God’s Word

  • September 20, 2016
Smiling women celebrating

More than 70 percent of the Bibleless population in India are not literate in their mother tongue, and the remaining 30 percent are not yet fluent readers. In 2010, our South Asia Partner initiated a pilot project to record six translated books of New Testament for a very sensitive language. Within two years of the recordings’ completion and distribution, the local church doubled in size. By early 2015, the church had grown by 400 percent!

The future of Scripture engagement efforts in India is focused on making God’s Word accessible in audio and video formats. This high-priority strategy includes making Bible stories, songs, Scripture portions and the “JESUS” film available in minority languages. The recording and distribution of Scripture portions in another 10 languages were completed in early 2016.

The impact of audio/visual versions of the Bible is amazing! In a language spoken in Western India, 40 audio players were loaded with Bible stories, Scripture portions and songs. The players were distributed to local pastors and churches, to start Bible listening groups. Much to the translation team’s amazement, the pastors requested an additional 40 sets the next week!

You can support audio/video Scripture production for 30 languages in India — representing 27 million people — through our Gift Catalog.

This year’s catalog presents ways to support the work of Bible translation — including the project featured above. Beginning October 1, you can browse our online catalog at wycliffe.org/giftcatalog.